Notifications
Clear all

Hajimari playthrough topic

97 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
Yotaka
Falcom Romantic Admin

I've still got to read Shunran, it's the one thing I haven't done yet of consequence, ie not counting finishing up VM/Pomtto. But oh boy was all that postgame quest/Episode content good. There's a few things I was hoping we might get out of Hajimari that we didn't (like the info from Kondo's interview about the powers of Ark Rouge/Lost Zem being revealed in a game, or seeing the treasures' original forms) but for the most part I was quite satisfied with the game in all respects.

In fact, I'd been trying to work out in my head for a while now whether CS4 cracked my top three games (SC/The 3rd/Ao, not in that order) and now the question is moot because Hajimari most definitely earns a spot on that list and bumps SC off it.

And one of these days I'm going to have to go back and do the final battle sequence of the main story on Abyss if not the whole game, just to see how mad it gets.

Spoiler
Last Episode
Dear god, did that give us a lot to chew on and increase our hype levels for Calvard. I'm now feeling a bit silly for some recent comments about Longlai being a place in the East when it turns out that it's actually on the eastern fringe of Calvard, but how was I to know? 😉

Yun's training of 'Hime' and the existence of a 'Zeroth Form' plus whatever Ikaruga is up to has suddenly made Yun even more interesting than he already was. I get the strong impression that the 'Black God' style the rank and file used is meant to be one of the styles that Yun synthesized into his own Eight Leaves, which is why Rean recognized their stance as being so familiar. And if the descriptions of those fights are anything like what we're going to get in the gameplay next arc, I'm expecting some really fun combat.

Renne's episode by contrast was a lot of buildup in more subtle ways, except for the brickbat to the face that was the Verne interlude. I wasn't expecting her to show up (I figured from the title that it would be some new character who'd be a next-arc protagonist) but I don't really mind her showing up again in the same way that past arc characters generally do. I expect Aramis will be sort of like Jenis as a location we'll visit and which will have some story role but it won't be the focus like Thors was. No way they do the same idea twice in a row, especially since Aramis is a very different type of school.

And then we got our Obvious Major Character lead-in with the final segment. I'm a little annoyed that Elaine seems to have beaten Estelle and Joshua to breaking Sara's record* but other than that it was more interesting foreshadowing of Calvard's criminal underworld with Heiyue being pressured by emerging rivals, drugs and the other tensions we've come to expect. Definitely shaping up to be an eventful arc. And that new music at the very end was a nice teaser of things to come, just like the post-credits scene with Lapis shows off the new engine.

* They were described by Elie as on the verge of an A-rank promotion a year before Elaine's and that was before their actions in CS4, how has the guild not gotten around to promoting them yet? And when is Estelle getting her own (non-fishing) title, huh Falcom?

Posted : 16/10/2020 10:51 pm

@yotaka

Spoiler
Post game episodes
I actually think Elaine is not going to be the main character since she herself says at the end of her episode that she's not a hero, but she's getting ready for when the hero appears. That said, if Falcom actually releases a game today starring an adult woman who can drink alcohol, fight her way through a den of kidnappers alone, and has a defined love interest, I will jump for joy. The writing in all three episodes is also excellent, and gives me hope for future games. 

Given Aramis is also mentioned as where Elaine went to school, I think it's definitely going to play a major role in the story, and I'm curious about the other members of Renne's student council. I also added 2+2 and came up with 500 so I'm wondering if any Herschels have studied there.

It also seems to me that the material that her weapon is made of is going to be a plot element - given the Zemurian arms race, weapons that can break metal (I kind of got the impression they might be Mixed, but who knows) might be a reasonable way for Calvard to reestablish deterrence against Erebonia/threats from the east.

Another question I have is whether the next arc will actually provide details about the nature of Zemuria and the history of Epstein/orbment development - based on what they've shown so far and with McBurn so prominent, I'll be really disappointed if they don't give us hard details.

Posted : 19/10/2020 9:32 am
Yotaka
Falcom Romantic Admin

Posted by: @sinjitsu_itiro

@yotaka

Spoiler
Post game episodes
I actually think Elaine is not going to be the main character since she herself says at the end of her episode that she's not a hero, but she's getting ready for when the hero appears. That said, if Falcom actually releases a game today starring an adult woman who can drink alcohol, fight her way through a den of kidnappers alone, and has a defined love interest, I will jump for joy. The writing in all three episodes is also excellent, and gives me hope for future games. 

Given Aramis is also mentioned as where Elaine went to school, I think it's definitely going to play a major role in the story, and I'm curious about the other members of Renne's student council. I also added 2+2 and came up with 500 so I'm wondering if any Herschels have studied there.

It also seems to me that the material that her weapon is made of is going to be a plot element - given the Zemurian arms race, weapons that can break metal (I kind of got the impression they might be Mixed, but who knows) might be a reasonable way for Calvard to reestablish deterrence against Erebonia/threats from the east.

Another question I have is whether the next arc will actually provide details about the nature of Zemuria and the history of Epstein/orbment development - based on what they've shown so far and with McBurn so prominent, I'll be really disappointed if they don't give us hard details.

Spoiler
Postgame and some crack
- I did say 'major' character and not 'main' character, didn't I? 😉 Aside from the points you raised, she's a bracer and I can't imagine Falcom repeating protagonist groups for Calvard, or again generally until we get another game like Hajimari. But yes, I'd be down for a protagonist like her, or even just another female protagonist more broadly.

- Yeah, I'm expecting the Aramis student council to show up at least to the same extent that Jenis' did in Sky. On the Herschels, I remember that her family tree has roots in the East but I can't remember if they confirmed that any part of it spent time in Calvard... but I could see that being the case.

- Maybe Hime, but the impression I got is that the nameless ninjas and Kurogane were just using styles that Rean was completely unfamiliar with (one that threw him off because it was almost but not quite Eight Leaves in some ways, the other because of the weapon) but Ikaruga's a big fat question mark in general. The description of the sword makes it sound like it's an heirloom but not something on the line of Kernviter, so a weapon Calvard could have a stock of is definitely possible. Between Zemurian Ore and the alloy that the Aions are armored with, we've got some exotic metals already so one more wouldn't be surprising.

- Related to that, the whole conversation between Renne and Tita about the technology alliance and Verne cutting off all contacts is huge. If they think they can go forward entirely on their own, Calvard must have something big up their sleeve.

Since Hamilton is the last of Epstein's disciples, the arc would be a good time to go into details on the early Orbal Revolution, maybe not completely but at least giving us some good stuff to work with. Well, unless it turns out that Novartis is the fourth discipile of Epstein that nobody liked, or his rival. I don't think we actually know how old Epstein was when he made his breakthrough. See also, the crackiest of crack theories that the human that McBurn merged with was Epstein, if the latter was a young genius.

Posted : 19/10/2020 6:17 pm

Well got into the mood of playing Reverie sooner than I expected, and just finished Act 1 of all the routes. I'll have to read all the old posts here once I finish the game. For now, just general, non-spoiler thoughts.

The Lloyd route was a good ole time, and having best boy Wazy in 3D was everything I could ask for. Why do they have so many great looking guys in these games!? Ahem. Anyways, having the chance to walk around Crossbell as the SSS seeing so many familiar places and people was nice, and I am intrigued on how this route will play out.

With Rean's route, I was already prepared to be down on it. The start of it didn't inspire confidence, with Musse being her usual self towards Rean, and people surprised Rean didn't have every girl's heart stolen in town, plus lay the whole Elise thing out. Outside of that, I was surprised how great so many scenes were. Rean was able to shine like he did in the earlier games, and even with the ladies it came across genuine without coming across as every moment having to be potentially romantic in subtext. I've been mostly unspoiled on this game, so the main focus on Rean's route came as a surprise to me. As for the start of Chapter 2, a character I generally don't care for actually surprised me. Finally felt like an actual character to me.

Lastly is the 3rd route, which was very short. Despite that, those few scenes instantly sold me on the characters, especially Nadia. I was ready to love them being a brand new cast and hearing good things about this route in particular. However, being attached this quickly reminded me of Sky FC. First scene sold me on the characters and I am invested in seeing how everything plays out.

All in all, a really solid start to the game that has me looking forward to the game!

Posted : 18/08/2023 9:01 pm

Finished all of act 2. Was surprised how one of the revelations was made so fast, especially considering how I remember how the Japanese trailers had a certain scene play out.

Spoiler
Spoiler about C
I had somehow gone all this time not getting spoiled about C. However, there is another major revelation I assume made late game that had me assume Rufus was the true identity of C. I remember in the Japanese trailer it made it seem that scene where C grabs Lapis and jumps to the airship that he still had his mask on, so I assumed that his true identity would remain a mystery much longer

Once again, I am in awe how much I love this new group. Nadia is definitely the stand out of them, I find myself giggling furiously with a lot of her interactions. All in all, I can see why fans and detractors of the Cold Steel saga find a lot to love about this game. Despite three routes, it allows for more focus on each of those groups and time to enjoy the various interactions, rather than so many things happening and not having a chance to get those much desired character interactions.

Posted : 20/08/2023 7:33 pm

While I have some post-game stuff to see the last of the daydreams, I have gotten through the credits and have pretty much experienced most of what the game has to offer. All in all, Reverie was a pretty solid game, with a lot of good moments, with a lot of my favorite moments squarely coming from the C route. For better or worse, Rean and Lloyd's route don't do a whole lot outside of the box. For characters you like, you get moments to enjoy them all over again. For characters I struggle to enjoy, they still have their moments, but the game struggles once again to have me enjoy them all the way through.

To me, the game doesn't reach the heights that Sky 3rd did for me years ago. While it has certain aspects that made that game great, it also struggles to have a story that I can really get behind. Sky 3rd had a very thin plot, but what little was there was to help give character focus to mainly Ries and Kevin, with the doors being a reprieve from a mostly battle focused game. Reverie has a mini-Sky 3rd aspect with daydreams and randomized dungeon floors to play as whoever you want, bit a large part of the game is its own story divided in three-character sections.

That story, while initially intriguing, doesn't really do much for me, and by the end I am mentally checked out as outside of the C story characters, Lloyd and Rean's route stuff had little that really engaged me. It's pretty much a summation of my problem overall with CS 3 and 4, there are individual moments can be fun and hype, but put together is feels cobbled together and disjointed. Doesn't help that it also feels like bringing back what feels like best moments of from both Crossbell and Erebonia, and not doing much else.

The things that really stand out are certain Daydreams, though that's not without making the Erebonia saga in retrospect feel weaker. I've never been big into Emma, but the daydream with her as the focus allowed her to shine and see her potential. Why we couldn't get that to shine through in four games just makes it disappointing. There's mention of Osborne and a little more context of how some of the Ironbloods saw him as, but that once again shows that it failed to come through in any meaningful way before, only to be shown after the fact. Still, there's a lot of fun in these daydreams, and the moments they have are genuinely great.

C's route is just a great time all around. A motley crew that came together as a convenience, where at the end they feel much more tightly knit. Each personality bouncing off each other for such great moments, and each of them having some great character growth. C all around was the GOAT of this game, and at another time I will do spoiler thoughts, as their character just fascinates me to no end. 

End of the day, Reverie is a great game that does a lot right to pick my spirits up after a rough finish that was a combination of CS 3 and 4. However, there is still a lot to be desired that I can't put it in my favorites, so my top 3 remains the same. 

Posted : 29/08/2023 1:55 pm

Ok, got all the post game stuff completed, I am now finished with Reverie after about 62 hours of in game time. Despite how I feel about the franchise as it has gone on, overall I was happy with the last hurrah with the Liberl, Crossbell, and Erebonia team, and now look forward to a new chapter with new places and people to see. As much as I love a lot of these characters, I kind of hope they keep cameo's to a minimum. We don't need a final game with all these characters from all these arcs, as that would be too much.

Anyways, some spoilery thoughts, which includes major spoilers of the whole game.

Spoiler
Day Dreams
Most of them come down to being fun, with a few being a bit more stand out. Of course one of my favorites is going to be the Bright family vacation, and having Estelle just be herself and seeing the whole family together for once. It was a feel good moment seeing Renne call Cassius dad, only to see her go back to Cassius as a way to tease him. Having both Renne and Estelle as sources to pick on him must be rough, but makes the family dynamic so much fun. Also, Gilbert as usual is always a blast.

The blessings to our future one was a huge stand out. Having a little walk through memory lane between Olivert and Schera with was nice, seeing their wholesome relationship was already great. That end with Bleublanc giving his well wishes and that note from Luciola was the cherry on top to really hit the emotions high.

Lastly, of the three text based Calvard ones, the one with Renee was a stand out. I'm surprised in some ways how Renee continues to pop up and continues to have importance. I assume partly it has to do with her popularity, though not sure where she is in the polls with the general fanbase. With Reverie, we've seen that she is in her own way being a part of the Haysworth life, but is firmly a Bright and doesn't have a way to go back to her old family to be a Haysworth. Still, from her interaction with Novartis, she is very protective of them, and you see there's still a part of her with the "Angel of Slaughter" inside her.

The day dream with her shows that in full force. She has a demeanor of being a prim and proper Lady, and she has confidence and capable of showing an air of nobility. However, when the moment comes in to fight people, she clearly has a love in overwhelming her opponents, and putting the fear of Aidios into her victims. Even with that though, she has the want of living a normal life with friends. She is indeed still very complex and there's parts of her previous life that still remain and may never go away completely.

The Day Dream with Osborne's memories I am conflicted about. On the one hand, it definitely expands on his thoughts to make him more realized. It does make him more tragic than how I felt about him at the end of CS 4. However, these thoughts and feelings would have been better served being built up in some way over the course of the whole saga, fleshing him out overtime. As is, this feels like a course correction that was done too late to really fix the problem at hand, at least personally.

Of the new cast members, Nadia is one of the big stand outs. Girl knows what she wants, and has no problem letting people know that and has no shame about it. That's part of her charm, but she has a way of using her personality as a front and there are some more twisted moments with her. Add with the personalities of Swin and Lapis, she has no shortages of great moments. However, the biggest standout of that group is C

Spoiler
Major C spoilers
Even before this game, Rufus has always been an interesting character. In the first half of the Saga, he is a force of charisma that makes it hard to hate him, no matter which side he takes. You have a moment here and there where his mask slip slightly to show that he takes some glee in how he uses those for his own gain, especially with the Duke at the end of CS 2. It's not until 3 and especially 4 that his true nature is shown, and that moment he stabs Arianrhod that any chance of still liking him goes out the window.

Despite all that, there is a tinge of humanity you can still see in some ways. Even if for show and a way to look good, he still goes out of his way in CS II to assure Rean when in custody that no harm will befall Ymir or his classmates. There's also his relationship to Jusis, which is a complicated one. Growing up, Rufus was the model of what a Noble could be in Jusis's eyes, and he respected Rufus a lot and learned a lot from him. Even with everything that went on, Rufus was still a brother to him, and there was a bond between them that couldn't be shattered.

Reverie does a great job of finally getting into Rufus's head space. This man who was proud and seemed to have a large presence and ego was just a person broken on the inside. Like Jusis, subjugated to the horrors and expectation Noble society placed on him, and with the only person he felt connected to was Osborne, a man who couldn't be a good role model for him. He was a product of the environment he was thrusted into, only able to depend on himself. As such, he used his usual tactics to set about doing Osborne's final wish.

The greater part of his character is despite being more open about his terrible personality, there is still a charm to him that people become attached to him. To some extent with Nadia and Swin, both put into a terrible environment and able to escape it, and with Rufus's promise of riches could have the easy life. They come to respect Rufus because of that similar background, trying to move forward in their own way. However, the bigger relationship is with Rufus and Lapis.

Lapis has huge pride in being a Rosenburg doll, but underneath, is scared and uncertain about who she is and why she exists. This hits Rufus hard, as he grapples with the same internal conflict, and while prideful like Lapis, is unable to express himself. Whether intentionally or not, he is able to push Lapis in the right direction. Even though the heartfelt moment where he finds the correct Lapis is undercut a little with the reveal of the transmitter, his message and continue support still helps Lapis a lot.

By the end of the game, he finally comes to realize that despite all the bad, while the name Rufus Albarea will invoke anger and hate to most, there are those that care about him. So at the end, while he may lose his home, his name, his money, he finally gained a sense of self and purpose, and can move on to do what good the rest of his life will allow him.

While not quite as effective as Richard, the game did manage to balance him out a good bit and wrap up his arc pretty satisfyingly. In some ways, I feel like Rufus would have been a better overall antagonist for the Erebonia saga. He was a product of the various problems Erebonia faced, and had a much bigger presence overall that could've made everything satisfying I feel. Whereas Osborne, while in concept was interesting, just did not have the presence and build up to be satisfying.

Posted : 30/08/2023 4:44 pm
Page 7 / 7