Notifications
Clear all

Trails From Zero (Geofront) Topic

44 Posts
9 Users
2 Likes
AttentionDeficitGuy
Topic starter

Thought I'd go ahead and get the ball rolling on the Trails From Zero discussion!

For those who don't know, the fan translation project has a release date at long last (this Saturday, March 14th), along with a cool trailer (linked because I dunno how to embed videos on this forum).

I for one am really excited to see how this patch expands the Crossbell arc's reach in the English-speaking fanbase, as well as seeing how much better I like the game with a properly edited script (not to mention if there's any cool overarching themes or lore bits I missed the first time around).

Posted : 12/03/2020 12:40 am
AnAstrayKiwi

Well, I can say that I think that it is already expanding it. Why? Well, the Falcom shop is sold out of the Windows version of Zero 😋 

Posted : 12/03/2020 12:56 am
Yotaka
Falcom Romantic Admin

Falcom Shop and Amazon Japan and it's suddenly shot up to the top of the rankings on DLsite.

Posted : 12/03/2020 3:40 am
Wuolong77

I really wish for Falcom to officially acknowledge the efforts of the geofront-team. Paying you is probably nigh impossible with all the legalities involved, even if they wanted, but a word of thanks would be nice.

Posted : 12/03/2020 5:56 am
AnAstrayKiwi

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/psp/995652-eiyuu-densetsu-zero-no-kiseki/faqs/66823

Gonna drop this here in case anyone wants it, I used it for a 100% run on PSP, the only issues are that it isn't 100% done, but it has all quests, boss fights, books, and I think fishing too. Just don't expect chest locations :P. The only error that I found is that later on in the story one of the multiple choice decisions is wrong, I believe that it occurs in the SSS' chief's office. Lastly, as it pre-dates even the rough English translations, terms of things are different as in: say item names and such. Enjoy!

Posted : 14/03/2020 2:55 pm

I'm not sure if this is an appropriate place to file bug reports, but here goes:

1)  Attempting to enable V-Sync caused the game to crash.

2)  Very often, coming out of battle will zoom the camera way in, making it very difficult to see where I am or where I'm going.  Holding turbo during the end-of-battle menus seems to potentially be related.

Posted : 15/03/2020 8:50 am
Yotaka
Falcom Romantic Admin

@lrddimwit I can forward it on but you'll probably get a faster response by posting it to the Geofront's issue tracker directly:

https://geofront.esterior.net/issue-reporting/

Posted : 16/03/2020 4:34 pm

I'm playing Zero no Kiseki (You guys should probably give it an English name). Thanks to everyone involved so much!

PTSD at naming it CPD or CSPD? Crossbell police department or, crossbel special police department? What's the S? Is the original Japanese version ambiguous about what it should be called? what's the story?

Posted : 07/04/2020 6:29 am
Yotaka
Falcom Romantic Admin

Posted by: @ghaleon

I'm playing Zero no Kiseki (You guys should probably give it an English name). Thanks to everyone involved so much!

PTSD at naming it CPD or CSPD? Crossbell police department or, crossbel special police department? What's the S? Is the original Japanese version ambiguous about what it should be called? what's the story?

The patch did: Trails from Zero. For my part I'm likely to continue to refer to it as Zero no Kiseki unless I catch myself just like I do for all the games since I started all of them in Japanese, but that's its 'official' English name for now. xD

On the CSPD/CPD thing, it's been localized both ways (XSEED used the former and NISA the latter) so the Geofront translation is matching the newest game in English. It's mostly an elegance thing though. As for the original Japanese, well... Falcom tried to have it both ways, with Lloyd's jacket having 'CSPD' on the back while the Enigma orbments all have CPD emblazoned on the front. The official romanization per the website is Crossbell State Police Department, CPD simply drops the 'State'. In the end, CPD is shorter, fits with its companion organization the CGF (Crossbell Guardian Force) and sounds more natural if you're saying the whole phrase, and since Falcom used both abbreviations it's basically just as valid as the full CSPD.

Posted : 07/04/2020 7:32 am

So.. I'm still in the prologue for Trails from Zero (question regarding the name btw, I guess I'll ask in the other thread). I hope to finish it at some point and not meet some untimely demise beforehand. But when that happens, is it suggested that I use the current 'leaked' Ao Patch? Should I wait for another fan patch from you guys. I hope I don't come across as impatient here or whatever, I'm just curious how to fully appreciate the crossbell arc that you people have put so much work into.

Posted : 08/04/2020 6:57 am
Yotaka
Falcom Romantic Admin

Ahhh, Azure is a 'want to do' project but I can't really comment on specifics so I'll leave it up to you whether to use the current patch or wait.

Posted : 08/04/2020 7:16 pm

I'd be willing to wait a year or two... I think. I mean I imagine I'd wait 4-5 if I must but I suspect zero will have a painful cliffhanger in Kiseki style reducing that to a year or two. I don't imagine a patch would be complete in that period of time if it  isn't already mid-completion or something. I also suspect there is some reluctance to start on it now that Falcom announced rereleases on the ps4. How serviceable is the leaked Azure game does anyone know? I'm pretty easygoing. Spelling mistakes, goofy punctuation, etc wont bother me the slightest. I'm more concerned with issues like a character's personality and vernacular not being accurately conveyed due to a translation being a bit too literal and missing out on the emotional connotations  between one language's way of saying something and another. Not character related or emotional or whatever, but I basically much prefer 'trails of  cold steel' being called what it is instead of 'trails in the flash', or 'trails in the moment a sword flashes as you draw it from its scabbard' =P. Of course I consider practices of what happens in Fire Emblem Fates to be a flaming abomination.

Posted : 09/04/2020 3:35 am
JumpyJunpei

Ao's translation is fine if you just want to play the game without waiting years. It's a little stiff and unnatural a lot of the time, and it has the dumb anime fansub thing of making certain characters say "fuck" when I doubt they said anything near as harsh. Perhaps it's a testament to his character that it shines through, but I loved people like Randy despite it not being the ideal translation you'd want. One thing I'll say is when a certain character in the late game is info dumping about a big revelation, it started to break down a little for me. I got the gist, but it was strangely worded.

Posted : 09/04/2020 8:49 am

on second thought. trails is fun to replay for the story even to begin with. that and I'm pretty spoil-immune.

Posted : 10/04/2020 1:29 am

@jumpyjunpei No, it really isn't "fine".  It's C work - passable at best.  I very quickly gave up on everything but the main story, because the NPC dialog just is not worth trying to read.  But more than that, my Japanese isn't great (certainly not good enough to try and play one of these in Japanese) but a lot of the spoken dialog in the main story seems to me to be fairly questionably translated.  Especially in a lot of the really complex dialog near the end of the game, a significant fraction felt to me like guesswork only vaguely related to what the original line seemed to be saying, and a larger fraction didn't feel right.

Of course, I mainlined the whole game in like 3 days, so I can't point to anything in particular because it's all a blur (and it'd be absolutely spoileriffic if I did anyway).  I'll just say, though, that I toyed briefly with the idea of creating my own Neckbeard Patch using the tools floating around, to fix a bunch of that.  I decided against it cause without access to the original script I couldn't convince myself I'd do much better.

If you want to play Ao in order to move on to CS3 (which was my goal, and I was being less and less successful avoiding Ao spoilers as time went on) you can.  It's nearly all comprehensible (even if wrong in some parts), and it's serviceable.  Just play on Easy, and ignore everything but main story quests.  Don't talk to NPCs.  Don't do optional junk on the terminal.  Just beeline the critical path.

But that does not mean the translation is 'fine'.  It isn't.  I find myself wondering whether a lot of my issues with the overall plot are actually with the game itself, or simply due to the translation being spotty.

Posted : 17/04/2020 5:47 am
Page 1 / 3