Random still alive

Notifications
Clear all

Random still alive

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Not that I think any of you missed me, but I'm still poking around. Just got really, really distracted by crunch at work dealing with daily meetings both morning and late at night because of timezone differences with coworkers. And a lot of my need for intellectual, debate, was satisfied by the Ascendance of a Bookworm community at jnc. @Yotaka, I remember a long time ago how you mentioned you'd be interested in something that was of comparable scale/tone to Kiseki? Well, Honzuki I think very nicely qualifies.

So, how's everyone else been?

Also, the internal links on the forum don't seem to preserve the https connection, even if you start from a https connection. Is that intentional?

Posted : 07/12/2020 11:24 pm

Hey, glad to know you are well. I know there were some who weren't a fan of you for being more critical of the series, especially the Cold Steel games, but I always enjoyed your own perspective on things. Never fun when everyone thinks the exact same thing in any online community. I've heard about Bookworm, I should get into that at some point as it sounds like my type of series. 

I've been doing well. Work has been extremely busy between Covid and major work being done in the hospital changing up my work process. Still, can't complain since it has allowed me to get some nice extra money with overtime and that at least I can take solace in the fact that I am able to work at least. 

Posted : 08/12/2020 11:18 pm
Yotaka
Falcom Romantic Admin

Posted by: @zwabbit

@Yotaka, I remember a long time ago how you mentioned you'd be interested in something that was of comparable scale/tone to Kiseki? Well, Honzuki I think very nicely qualifies.

I'll give that a look, thanks!

For my part I've been buried in my own favorite literary equivalent to Kiseki, Brandon Sanderson's Cosmere franchise and the newest book in the Stormlight Archive series, or to put it in Kiseki terms the 'Roshar Arc' xD

Also, the internal links on the forum don't seem to preserve the https connection, even if you start from a https connection. Is that intentional?

Insofar as I've forgotten to set the site up for https and need to do so, you could say it's intentional. Whoops.

Posted : 09/12/2020 11:37 pm
Just a cold piece of steel

Not that I think any of you missed me

Hey, I did!

Though I disagreed with you at times, I enjoy reading your thoughts and am glad you're here! 😀

Posted : 10/12/2020 12:50 am
Topic starter

Well generally at least my points are more coherent than the guy that popped up on the Steam forum and claimed that "military police" were not a thing in real life. 😛

The https thing is just due to me being somewhat, cautious, about net security in general, since I'm exposed to enough security holes in the entire hw/sw stack that I'm a firm believer in defense in depth. While this site is highly unlikely to be deliberately targeted, the fact that non-secured connections do leak passwords (less problematic if they're just throwaway ones) and session cookies (potentially way more problematic when in conjunction with the above) is enough to make me worry a bit. My account on here getting compromised, not so much a big deal. An admin's, that's potentially more catastrophic from the site's perspective. And due to the prevalence of spray and pray attacks that I've seen happening on my own servers, I'm less worried about deliberate attacks and more of just opportunistic attempts.

Honzuki is a great series, and its protagonist has that sort of willful determination that would make Estelle proud, even if Myne is much less bookdumb. And for those that can read Japanese fluently, the "completed" series is on syosetsu, so there's not even a need to wait for the complete English translation. The official published version just includes some edits as well as a few dedicated prologues/epilogues/short stories.

Amusingly enough, Sanderson has actually been brought up as an author that Honzuki fans are also likely to like on the jnc forums.

And oh dear, if you are indeed involved at work in a hospital, do take care these days. The frontlines of this pandemic has not been pleasant. Feel free to vent to all of us if it helps take a load off your mind. As physically taxing as the work might be, I'm sure the emotional strain is also considerable.

Posted : 12/12/2020 8:59 pm

I was probably such a person who made you feel unwelcome. I'm a poor communicator and I apologize for any hostility in the past. I generally gripe about minor flaws (minor imo) after each game when I play them, but always  express I adore the series in general.... I do think I looked at you as being the guy who criticizes without praising it anyway else.  which is ok in general, not everyone has to like it, but, as a long term crtique guy, people like you give me red flags I probably jump on earlier than I should, so... yeah. You're still welcome to even me (not just the people who matter more than me), and I may argue with you  furthermore, but...don't take it too personally, I think you actually care about the series/games. and I AM a poor communicator, sorry if I had any involvement in making you feel unwelcome, pretty sure you're a bigger name in this community than me anyway, not that is all that matters, but just want to know that I'm a guy quick to disagree, but... It's just something I don't mean in a personal or offensive way in general.

Posted : 15/12/2020 10:51 am

Well generally at least my points are more coherent than the guy that popped up on the Steam forum and claimed that "military police" were not a thing in real life. 😛

The https thing is just due to me being somewhat, cautious, about net security in general, since I'm exposed to enough security holes in the entire hw/sw stack that I'm a firm believer in defense in depth. While this site is highly unlikely to be deliberately targeted, the fact that non-secured connections do leak passwords (less problematic if they're just throwaway ones) and session cookies (potentially way more problematic when in conjunction with the above) is enough to make me worry a bit. My account on here getting compromised, not so much a big deal. An admin's, that's potentially more catastrophic from the site's perspective. And due to the prevalence of spray and pray attacks that I've seen happening on my own servers, I'm less worried about deliberate attacks and more of just opportunistic attempts.

Honzuki is a great series, and its protagonist has that sort of willful determination that would make Estelle proud, even if Myne is much less bookdumb. And for those that can read Japanese fluently, the "completed" series is on syosetsu, so there's not even a need to wait for the complete English translation. The official published version just includes some edits as well as a few dedicated prologues/epilogues/short stories.

Amusingly enough, Sanderson has actually been brought up as an author that Honzuki fans are also likely to like on the jnc forums.

And oh dear, if you are indeed involved at work in a hospital, do take care these days. The frontlines of this pandemic has not been pleasant. Feel free to vent to all of us if it helps take a load off your mind. As physically taxing as the work might be, I'm sure the emotional strain is also considerable.

Thanks for the offer. Thankfully I'm not terribly affected by the pandemic despite working in a hospital. My job is to reprocess instruments and equipment used in surgery so it can be reused, so I work away from the patients and 99% of the hospital staff. Though the OR personelle are quite stressed and now their frustrations are starting to bleed towards us with a lot more complaints on things that used to be extremely minor, so it is getting taxing between that and having to work in a very different environment temporarily. Now things that used to be minor inconveniences take away precious time.

Been a while since I looked at the steam kiseki posts. There is always one user in particular that I feel is always fun to read with how bad the takes can be. Though nothing beats that one person on the Xseed forums who was convinced Weissman was the good guy and Estelle's mother was evil or something like that.

Posted : 17/12/2020 2:52 am
Topic starter

I arguably should have put a 😛 next to that remark in my opening post. By and large there wasn't anyone on the old XSEED forum that sought to actively make me feel unwelcome over any disagreements that were had, and I think everyone recognized most of the disagreements were rooted in simple differing taste. In general, the XSEED forum was a relative corner of civility, and one reason I'm starting to drop back in on this forum is to see how much of that we've managed to replicate.

These days I have a bit less energy to engage in debate or, animated discussions, though I do still keep an ear out for anything interesting that's happening in Kiseki land.

Posted : 26/12/2020 6:48 am